Address:
408 East Main Street
Eagle Lake, TX 77434
Phone:
(979) 234-7442
Hours:
M-F 9 - 1 pm
Weekends 2 - 5 pm

Map:
click below for a full map
Join Us for a Museum Book Launch October 13, 2012!
See Details on the Events Page!

The town of Eagle Lake had a close neighbor in the early 1900’s. The area we know today as Lakeside Drive was actually a community named Lakeside, Texas. Around the turn of the century, Lakeside, named for its location near Eagle Lake, was an important water source for the Lakeside Sugar Refinery and early rice growing. It was located on FM 102 off U.S. Highway 90A near the town of Eagle Lake on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.

The town of Lakeside began as a station on the Cane Belt Railroad, which went from Eagle Lake northward to Sealy and south to Matagorda. Lakeside had a brief period of prosperity with its rice mills and the Lakeside Sugar Refinery. It began in 1898 when the Lakeside Depot was completed.

Captain William Dunovant, (1845-1902) planter of sugar cane, cotton and rice, and owner of the Lakeside Sugar Refinery, built and owned the town. He was a major shareholder of the Cane Belt Railroad, and built a large storehouse 32 by 112 feet next to the depot. He also built one of the largest and most modern cotton gins in Texas, and constructed a pumping plant on the lake, which was thought to be the first electric pumping plant in Texas, receiving its electricity from the nearby Lakeside cotton gin.

With the sugar mill, the building of a rice mill, numerous houses, a store, and a hotel, Dunovant’s Lakeside, Texas was a small town of about 500 people. Lakeside was headquarters to his farming and business enterprises. An official post office was in operation in Lakeside between 1900 and 1904, with James C. Carver as postmaster. After Captain Dunovant’s death on August 4, 1902 the town slowly began its decline.

The sugar refinery failed in 1912 due to bad weather and labor shortages, and closed in 1913. In the 1940’s the small community of Lakeside had a golf course and recreation area, once called the Lakeside Country Club, later used for hunting and skeet shooting. The Lakeside Cemetery was also a part of the small community. Lakeside as a town was listed on the county highway map until the mid 1980’s.

Sandra C. Thomas 

Our Mission

To preserve and share the history and culture of Eagle Lake, Texas and surrounding areas through our collections, publications, archives, artifacts, and educational programs.

Our Vision

To become a premier small town museum and center for education, research, and enjoyment of the roots and culture of our community and region. Support our vision with your visits, contributions, and volunteerism. Join our efforts to collect, catalog, and preserve our history for future generations.